In the past, wetlands were generally thought as useless and were basically drained for development. Fortunately, with the help of environmental advocates and the various wetlands presentations that were created to educate people about its benefits, it has finally been recognized as a valuable and essential part of our ecosystem.
Wetlands presentations help provide opportunities in maximizing the potential use of wetlands and it educates people on how to conserve this precious natural resource. Civil engineering firm Godfrey-Hoffman & Hodge in Connecticut is one of the few organizations that participate in the preservation of the Wetlands and they conduct surveys to identify and map wetland areas that exist in our surroundings.
Common Objectives of Wetlands Presentations:
- To raise public awareness of existing wetlands in a specific area
- To help government officials and other decision makers in finding ways to protect wetland environment and provide them with information that can help in the development of management programs that support the protection of these areas
- To provide fundamental knowledge to assist in the design of monitoring programs in wetland areas
- To provide landowners an understanding of the value of wetlands and the dangers of degrading these natural resources
- To encourage landowners to carefully develop and control the activities that may cause the destruction and loss of our wetlands
How to Educate People about Wetlands
- Coordinate school and club field trips to wetland areas in the community, so that people can have a first-hand experience of the beauty of the wetlands
- Write articles or create newsletters about your local wetlands
- Sponsor workshops, community forums and create wetlands presentations
- Launch an education campaign about local wetlands
- Hold a publicized wetland cleaning event
- Introduce wetlands in school curriculum
- Distribute leaflets about wetland features and benefits
- Initiate a planting activity to provide food and shelter for wildlife living in wetlands
- Wetlands are recognized as a valuable and essential part of the ecosystem.
- Wetlands presentations help provide opportunities in maximizing the potential use of wetlands and it educates people on how to conserve this precious natural resource.
Image courtesy of: Freedigitalphotos.net