Many Connecticut residents become confused when someone tells them that they need an A-2 survey done on their Connecticut property. The vast majority of homeowners do not realize that this type of survey is required when they want to expand their existing structures or do any developmental work on the land that they own.
The confusion begins upon this request of the A-2 survey.The term “A-2” is not a survey type, nor a survey category, but it is actually an accuracy class. There are several classes of accuracy in regards to surveys: Classes AA, A-1, A-2, B, C, and D.
When talking about survey types or categories, Class A-2 is the industry standard for accuracy. If someone is requesting that you need an A-2 survey for your property, what they are actually intending is for you to obtain a “Property Survey,” or an “Improvement Location Survey.”
Having these types of surveys done on your property is important. It will provide you with the necessary information required for protecting your land assets and could save you from expensive lawsuits that may occur from insufficient knowledge of your land boundaries.
Reasons for a Boundary Survey:
• It will help you determine your land boundaries and identify any encroachments, such as neighbour’s fences, garden, and other structures, and is essential in settling any legal disputes regarding boundaries.
• It is used to locate the boundary corners of a particular property and, at the same time, recover or set permanent boundary markers, such as iron pins.
• It is essential while planning to construct or upgrade any structures on your property, such as a shed, an addition to your home, or installing a fence.
• It will help you identify any public easements and ROW that exist on your property. This is important in development plans and determining land value.
• It depicts the proposed work for permitting purposes: “Improvement Location Survey.”
• It is recommended before buying or selling any property. It provides information about the land that will help you decide whether the amount you are paying or asking for is reasonable for the value of the real estate. It also helps you confirm exactly what you are buying or selling.
When having an A-2 survey conducted, it is always recommended that you hire a professional surveying firm, such as Godfrey-Hoffman & Hodge in Connecticut, to ensure reliable, accurate, and updated results.
• A class A-2 survey is an accuracy class, not a survey type. Typically, when a request is made for an A-2 survey, a “Property Survey” or an “Improvement Location Survey” is intended.
• A “Property Survey” or “Improvement Location Survey” will provide you with the necessary information required for protecting your land assets and could save you from expensive lawsuits that may occur from insufficient knowledge of your land boundaries.
Image Courtesy of: freedigitalphotos.net